Keeping data secure : Trusted Research Environment
The Integrated Data Service (IDS) is operating in a beta phase, with a selection of data available to users.
Users cannot bring their own data or code into the platform during this phase.
Once accredited, the IDS will operate as a Trusted Research Environment (TRE) that is based on the Five Safes Framework (opens in a new tab)
The Five Safes are:
- Safe People - trained and accredited researchers (opens in a new tab) are trusted to use data appropriately
- Safe Projects - data are only used for valuable, ethical research projects (opens in a new tab) that deliver clear public benefits
- Safe Settings - access to data is only possible using our secure technology systems
- Safe Outputs - all research outputs are checked to ensure they cannot identify data subjects
- Safe Data - researchers can only use data that have been de-identified
Data owners will always determine who has access to their data and for what purpose.
Many TREs across government and academia use this framework, providing assurance for data owners and ensuring safe use of data in the environment.
All IDS users must be accredited and complete mandatory training before access to the environment is approved. Users must also agree to our Security Operating Procedure and Security Policy, which will be sent to you with your login information.